Head of Engineering
About this role:
We’re a fast growing insurtech company bringing together super-comprehensive cover and tools for pet owners to take better care of their pets.
In two years since founding Napo, we have grown to 40K customers, recently closed a £15M series A and grown our team to over 55 employees including 13 engineers and two engineering managers.
We are looking for a technology leader to manage our engineering team, help us execute extremely well in the next 18 months and make technology decisions that will set us up ideally for our next phase of growth and international expansion.
We are committed to creating innovative, customer-centric and transparent products & services to the market. Pet ownership surged amid the pandemic, but the trend has unwittingly highlighted how poor the sector’s digital offering is. We are disrupting and reimagining the pet insurance value proposition by bringing together exceptional cover and all the tools pet owners and their pets needs, under a single membership and a great digital-first experience.
You should apply if you:
- Have a track record hiring, mentoring and leading a large team (20+) of engineers in a fast-paced environment, including ICs and Engineering Managers.
- Have experience making and communicating strategic technology decisions based on business needs.
- Are a product thinker who goes beyond just thinking about the code but are also keen on understanding customer needs and product strategy.
- Are a highly collaborative and pragmatic individual passionate about solving ambiguous problems, building products and code craftsmanship.
- Thrive from shipping early and often following modern practices like continuous delivery.
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate with the leadership team on the businesses strategic direction.
- Define the engineering roadmap against our business objectives
- Hire, manage and mentor a team of Engineers and Engineering Managers.
- Ensure we execute well against our roadmap and that day-to-day technology decisions are well made.
- Work with all technology functions (product, design, research, growth…) to create an amazing product for our customers.
A bit about technology at Napo
- We currently only support web interfaces, however we have plans to launch a mobile app at some point in the future
- Our backend uses terraform-managed GCP infrastructure. We originally shipped with a Python/Django monolith which we have more recently been moving over to a microservices approach via a monorepo which runs on Kubernetes.
- On web we use Vercel to deploy our stack, which is using a monorepo to orchestrate this. The web application is a React based Next.js application written in TypeScript. We manage an internal design system which is also deployed and E2E tested against all mergeable work via CI/CD. The web team also handles any E2E tests for key flows of the website.
- We ship daily, don’t have a separate QA team and prefer to test our own code or write good tests
What we offer:
- Everyone is an owner at Napo; you will receive stock options on day 1
- Flexible and remote-friendly work environment (for now, we would ideally love to have people in the office two days per week - we have a friendly office in central London)
- Flexible leave policy (25 days annual holidays + bank holidays) and we think you should get your birthday as a holiday.
- Budget for personal growth and training
- Some of our benefits:
- BUPA health insurance
- Pension scheme
- Unlimited GP video consultation (free Babylon Health membership)
- Be candid and authentic
- We bring our true selves to work - who we wholly are!
- We are transparent and are not afraid to share information with each other - good and bad news!
- Trust and care for each other
- We trust each other to do the right thing
- We are not afraid to make mistakes, and we ask for help when we need it
- We encourage each other; when people struggle, we help them
- Do the right thing
- We are fair and care about our customers
- When facing difficult decisions, we put ethics above profits
- We always act in the best interest of the company
- We are all owners and optimise for impact
- We are always looking for the most impactful thing to work on
- We take responsibility, and we’re problem solvers - hold yourself and others accountable
- Nothing is somebody else’s problem; we are collaborative and always jump in to help where needed
- Remote status
- Hybrid Remote
- Yearly salary
- £120,000 - £150,000
- Employment type
Head of Engineering
Loading application form
Already working at Napo?
Let’s recruit together and find your next colleague.