Napo is a fast-growing Insurtech company committed to creating innovative & transparent products to help every pet owner keep their pets healthy and happy! We are in the business of selling peace of mind and want people to know that Napo is a synonym for quality. The pet insurance space has suffered from low-quality and misleading products, and we want to ensure that all Napo products are simple and have your back.
We’ve created a digital-first approach: no letters, no phone calls, and no back and forth via email. We want our customers to be able to do whatever they need from our website and app in minutes, whenever it works for them.
The final piece in the puzzle is providing everything people need to take great care of their pets. Whether these are services such as behaviourist consultants, tools such as puppy training apps, or simply content, we aim to give pet owners everything they need to ensure their pet is happy and healthy for as long as possible.
We’re growing quickly, which is great. However, it comes with certain challenges. One of those challenges is ensuring we have the correct policies, plans and programmes in place to ensure the legal and ethical integrity of the company! You will work closely with the Heads of Departments in Customer Operations, Marketing, People and finance to ensure they adhere to the rules and regulations that an insurance intermediary upholds. You will help with planning reports and discussing how to embed new and existing rules and regulations as the business rapidly grows with the Leadership Team.
Some of your responsibilities to help you understand the role a bit further:
- Fully own the direction of Compliance and Risk management at Napo
- Lead and educate Napo through face-to-face training and easy-to-follow written guidance.
- Enhance processes to resolve compliance issues quickly, and better still to prevent them entirely 🙂
- Motivate employees to not only strive to meet compliance standards but also to exceed them to achieve great customer outcomes!
- Working closely with other teams to think outside the box to design of programmes that improve compliance without stifling innovation to support our growth.
- Ensure we comply with FCA, GDPR and other relevant regulations.
- Own compliance monitoring and regulatory reporting. Create, draft and update compliance and other relevant governance policies.
- Keep us informed of new regulatory requirements, so we can build these into our processes efficiently.
- Take the Board minutes and complete filings for Companies House.
Skills we think you need
- Ability to set the culture, principals and direction of compliance within a fast-growing technology company
- Problem-solving skills and the ability to make critical decisions quickly taking a risk-based approach.
- Project management skills and the ability to be methodical, diligent and organised.
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to analyse and interpret information rapidly.
- In-depth understanding of insurance industry standards and regulations.
- A really good understanding of reporting procedures and record-keeping.
- Ability to translate legal, regulatory and insurance speak into plain English.
Experience that is important to us
- Five+ years of experience in financial services, compliance management, legal practice, consultancy and other managerial areas.
- At least two years experience in the insurance industry.
- You must have proven working experience in the UK conduct regulations, regulatory change management requirements and relevant laws and FCA regulations applicable to an insurance intermediary.
- The minimum education requirement is a Bachelor’s degree in law, finance, business administration or other related fields.
- Insurtech or Fintech experience is desirable.
- CII, Dip CII or ACII or working towards is beneficial.
Behaviours (outside our values 🙂 ) to be successful in the role
- Entrepreneurial mindset - able to consider what is pragmatic, realistic and cost efficient when recommending solutions to embed Compliance in new or existing processes.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to identify pertinent changes in regulations.
- There is a natural tension between moving fast and being compliant, this can create tension and your ability to dissolve and resolve issues easily is essential
What we offer:
- Everyone is an owner at Napo; you will receive stock options on day 1
- Flexible and remote-friendly work environment (for now, we would ideally love to have people in the office two days per week - we have a friendly office in central London)
- Flexible leave policy (25 days annual holidays + bank holidays) plus your birthday as an additional day off!
- Budget for personal growth and training
- Some of our benefits:
- Free pet insurance (of course!)
- BUPA health insurance
- Pension scheme
- Be candid and authentic.
- We bring our true selves to work - who we wholly are.
- We are transparent and are not afraid to share information with each other - good and bad news.
- Trust and care for each other.
- We trust each other to do the right thing.
- We are not afraid to make mistakes, and we ask for help when we need it.
- We encourage each other; when people struggle, we help them.
- Do the right thing.
- We are fair to our customers, and we care about the well-being of their pets.
- When facing difficult decisions, we put ethics above profits.
- We always act in the best interest of the company.
- We are all owners and optimise for impact.
- We are always looking for the most impactful thing to work on.
- We take responsibility, and we’re problem solvers - hold yourself and others accountable.
- Nothing is somebody else’s problem; we are collaborative and always jump in to help where needed.