Napo is a fast-growing Insurtech company committed to creating innovative & transparent products to help every pet owner keep their pets healthy and happy! The pet insurance space has suffered from low quality and misleading products, and we want to ensure that all the Napo products are simple and have your back.
We’ve created a digital-first approach: no letters, no phone calls, no back and forth via email. We want our customers to be able to do whatever they need from our website and
app in minutes, whenever it works for them. And if they need some support, they can talk to us over the phone.
The final piece in the puzzle is providing everything people need to take great care of their pets. Whether these are services such as behaviourist consultants, tools such as puppy training apps, or simply content, we aim to give pet owners everything they need to ensure their pet is happy and healthy for as long as possible.
As a Data Scientist with Napo, you’re a core part of the Pricing & Product functions. You will report into the Lead Data Scientist and be part of small highly impactful team.
You'll leverage data to inform our pricing strategy and other product decisions, evaluate new opportunities, anticipate potential challenges, and guarantee that our products deliver the most value to our customers, their pets and Napo. For example, you will be working with:
- Our real-time pricing algorithm, which combines multiple ML models with decision logic to provide the best price for every customer. You will be, together with other Data Scientists, evaluating its performance, finding improvement opportunities and implementing them.
- Our business intelligence capabilities. You will be, together with other Data Scientists, finding actionable insights not only for the pricing algorithm improvements, but also producing recommendations to inform other teams’ and Napo leadership’s strategy.
- Our data infrastructure. You will collaborate with our Data Engineers to ensure that the data warehouse that powers both business intelligence and pricing is robust and meets our business needs.
Skills we think you need
- You have the ability to apply technical expertise with quantitative analysis, experimentation, data mining, and the presentation of data to develop strategies for our teams.
- You have the ability to manage your projects in a data-driven way, based on verifiable hypotheses and clear impact measurement.
- You have the ability to define, understand, and test opportunities and levers to improve the product, drive roadmaps through your insights and recommendations, and execute on those roadmaps using your technical skills.
Experience that is important to us
- You have a Bachelor's degree in Mathematics, Statistics, a relevant technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- You have experience with SQL, scripting languages (e.g. Python), and/or statistical/mathematical software (e.g. R)
- [Optional] You have experience in insurance, pet insurance or pet insurance pricing
- [Optional] You have experience in machine learning, including deploying the trained models into production, testing and monitoring their performance.
- [Optional] You have experience developing, deploying and maintaining dashboards using interactive data visualization tools (e.g. Tableau, Power BI, Metabase, Looker)
Behaviours (outside our values 🙂 ) to be successful in the role
- Effective and Open Communication: It's crucial to communicate complex data findings in a clear and concise manner to non-technical stakeholders, and speak out when you see improvement opportunities (we are all here to learn)
- Critical Thinking: Beyond just crunching numbers, you always asses the validity and reliability of the recommendations you produce, by challenging both the assumptions and the underlying data.
What we offer:
- Everyone is an owner at Napo; you will receive stock options on day 1
- Flexible and remote-friendly work environment (for now, we would ideally love to have people in the office two days per week - we have a friendly office in central London)
- Flexible leave policy (25 days annual holidays + bank holidays), and we think you should get your birthday as a holiday.
- Budget for personal growth and training
- Some of our benefits:
- BUPA health insurance
- Pension scheme
- Unlimited GP video consultation (free Babylon Health membership)
Be candid and authentic.
- We bring our true selves to work - who we wholly are.
- We are transparent and are not afraid to share information with each other - good and bad news.
Trust and care for each other.
- We trust each other to do the right thing.
- We are not afraid to make mistakes, and we ask for help when we need it.
- We encourage each other; when people struggle, we help them.
Do the right thing.
- We are fair to our customers, and we care about the well-being of their pets.
- When facing difficult decisions, we put ethics above profits.
- We always act in the best interest of the company.
We are all owners and optimise for impact.
- We are always looking for the most impactful thing to work on.
- We take responsibility, and we’re problem solvers - hold yourself and others accountable.
- Nothing is somebody else’s problem; we are collaborative and always jump in to help where needed.